Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Katie and Peter: the end of plastic fantastic?

I don't know why, but I'm really sad about the news that Peter Andre and Katie Price (aka Jordan) are splitting up. I have no specific reason to be - I am more guilty than most of mocking their crazy media presence. I did once attempt to watch their chat show Jordan and Peter, but it was so appallingly ridiculous I just couldn't stomach it.

I commented yesterday to my friend Ale that it seemed to be the end of a marriage of convenience, but thinking about it now I've changed my mind.

It seems to me that their coupling, rather being a media stunt to revive tired careers, had something really quite genuine about it. Now, you can't deny that it's done wonders for their media profiles - the music, book deals, TV shows, magazine profiles - but I think that's more to do with their completely shameless openness about every element of their lives, than anything else. In fact, there has been so little left to the imagination, that you could hardly accuse them of hidden agendas. They are a voyeur's dream. On one hand they seem too flawless, too plastic, too perfectly built, but on the other they have exposed themselves (quite literally), sparing no gory detail. Most celebrity marriages leave at least something to the imagination!

You can't deny that they've financially profited from their relationship, but the romantic in me says that's about the nature of their relationship, less than the drive to make money. They have lived their lives so openly that you can't help but be fascinated. But perhaps I'm being too naive! One way or another, it seems to be the end of a very short but intense celebrity era.

xxxxxxxxxx

No comments: